Missouri Republican, Bitter About Same Sex Marriage, Wants to Eliminate the Recognition for Everyone
(via Rep. Jerome Barnes)
he House General Laws Committee on Feb. 17 held a public hearing on legislation that would eliminate marriage in Missouri and reclassify it as a “contract of domestic union.” State Rep. Adam Schnelting, a St. Charles Republican, is sponsoring the measure, House Bill 2173.
In November 2018, two-thirds of Missouri voters ratified a constitutional amendment legalizing marijuana for medical use and granting the state Department of Health and Senior Services the authority to regulate the cultivation, manufacture, dispensing, sale, testing, and transportation of medical marijuana products.
The department recently issued 338 licenses to either grow, process or distribute medical marijuana, but the licenses issued represent just a fraction of the applications submitted. Businesses that weren’t chosen have complained of an inconsistent process for evaluating applications, including cases in which identical answers on different applications received different scores. Department officials said they expect hundreds of lawsuits to be filed by rejected applicants.
The House Special Committee on Government Oversight is slated to conduct another hearing into the matter, which will be it's third, on Feb. 26.
Jackson County is one of the very few counties in Missouri with dedicated year-round staff supporting the Democratic Party. The Executive Director position has been a model for other counties and regions for over a decade and, without it, challenges in fundraising, candidate recruitment, institutional memory, communication and more would mount and make our main objective more difficult: electing more Democrats.
Please consider attending on March 5, 6pm at Travois (310 W 19th Terr. KCMO) or donating a little each month through the Executive Director's Circle HERE. RSVP for the event HERE or just come on out March 5.
Candidate Filing Opens Tomorrow
The first day to file for County Committee seats, Jackson County Sheriff, County Prosecutor, State Representative, State Senate and all Statewide offices (except Auditor) is February 25. County offices must be declared at the county courthouse in Kansas City, state offices in the Secretary of State's offices in Jefferson City.
Here is some information about offices in Jackson County: https://www.jacksongov.org/DocumentCenter/View/6390/2020-Election-Procedure
Information about running for State offices: https://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/candidates
Prescription Drug Monitoring Program; What to Know
The Missouri House has passed a bill to the Senate that would establish a prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP).
HB 1693, sponsored by Republican Rep. Holly Rehder, would bring Missouri up to speed with a nationwide precedent. Missouri is currently the only state without a statewide PDMP system, except for small scale versions in Columbia and St. Louis. The proposed legislation would create a statewide program that would allow doctors to see patients’ records and prescriptions to better prescribe medications.
Here is a link to the Missouri Times article on the subject: https://themissouritimes.com/pdmp-bill-heading-to-senate-what-to-know/
Upcoming Meetings and Important Dates:
- Heartland Alliance for Progress: "Updates of Missouri Ballot Initiatives" including Medicaid Expansion efforts and defeating the effort to repeal Clean Missouri. Monday February 24, 5:15-7:00pm, 106 SW Boulevard KCMO. Flyer below.
- Voter Activation Network Training: Join us for a training session to learn how to operate the Democrat's data tool for identifying voters. This is an important training for anyone wanting to work on a campaign this cycle. Saturday February 29, 1:00-4:00pm, Bruce R Watkins Cultural Heritage Center (3700 Blue Parkway KCMO).
- Super Tuesday Watch Party: All Democrats welcome to watch as returns come in from Super Tuesday primary states. Hosted by Heartland Alliance for Progress, Phoenix Research Group and Young Freedom. March 3, 7-10pm at Ollie's Local (3044 Gillham Rd KCMO).
- 12th Annual Wiggins Fund Event: March 5, 6:00pm at Travois (310 W 19th Terrace KCMO). Multiple guest speakers will be announced. Light food and drinks provided.
- Candidate Filing Closes: March 31, 5pm
- Delegate Selection: "Mass meetings" held in your local ward or township. April 6. Much more information to come on this first step toward selecting national delegates for Presidential candidates.
- Congressional Convention: April 30. Time and location TBD.
- MDP Second Quarter Meeting: May 9, Jefferson City
- The 33rd Annual Truman Gala: June 6, Independence MO
- Missouri Democrats State Convention: June 20, Kansas City
Suggested Donation $50 - any amount appreciated.